PART 2: WEEK 1 DISCUSSION
WELCOME to the discussion for WEEK 1. Please respond in complete sentences for each question, unless directed to do otherwise, demonstrating in your reply that you have read the material in order to receive full credit. There are three topics in Part 2 (ensure you respond to all three and each should be in a separate post).
Topic 1: Digital Media
This week, you watched Digital Nation: Life on the Virtual Frontier Chapter 1: Distracted by Everything and Chapter 2: What’s It Doing to Their Brains?
Professor Turkle believes that students are wrong to think that a “multitasking learning environment” will help them succeed as students. She believes that in order to learn certain things, we need to be still, quiet and focused on one thing at a time.
Do you agree with the professor’s opinion? Is it possible to learn while multi-tasking? Why or why not?
Topic 2: Digital Media’s Impact on Society
Jack Lule, the author of Understanding Media & Culture: An Introduction to Mass Communication, explained how different technological transitions have shaped media industries.
How has technological developments in radio, television, the Internet, OR newspaper (SELECT ONE) influenced mass communication? Support your response.
Topic 3: Digital Future
This week you read Digital Life in 2025 by Janna Anderson and Lee Rainie.
Anderson and Rainie summarized 15 theses about the digital future of which eight were classified as more hopeful.
Which ONE of the eight “hopeful” theses do you see as the most hopeful? Explain your choice.
Minimum Topic Response: Word Count = 70 (per topic). Your response is required to be AT LEAST 70 WORDS long and be substantive. If your reply for this question is less than 70 words, you will lose points. You can use Microsoft Word to count the words in your response to make sure you have met the requirement.
NOTE 2: Please do not attach a file to the conference–enter your reply into the text area provided.
NOTE 3: After you post your response, please review it to make sure it is formatted correctly and is easy to read.
NOTE 4: Please read this information extremely carefully:
- Please include the topic number and title in your subject name for each discussion throughout the course.. For instance, Part 1: Introduction and Topic 1: Digital Media For Part 2 if at a minimum Topic and number is not included in your subject you will have a deduction.
- Please respond in complete sentences for each question, unless directed to do otherwise, demonstrating in your reply that you have read the material in order to receive full credit.
- 🙂 to indicate a smile is fine and I may use it myself from time to time in discussion. I would give deductions for other text speak such as using “u” for “you” etc.
- Each topic must be answered in a separate post.
- You may post introductions as soon as class is available. Ensure that at least of one your posts are within the week timeframe for actual participation in the week.
The file attached is the source you must use!!!!