Students will be required to watch 4 documentaries . These documentaries are found by linking to the following websites
1B. Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria 10/22/2013:
- The Vaccine War 03/24/2015
- Supplements and Safety 01/19/2016:
- The Weight of the Nation Part 1 05/14/2012:
– Please note that there are images that some would deem as graphic between 38-41 minutes. You may skip over this section if you are so inclined.
- Students will be required to complete a 3-page discussion paper on two of the documentaries.
- You are required to select one of the three documentaries related to infectious diseases AND one of the two documentaries with chronic/environmental exposure diseases.
- I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A SUMMARY OF THE 2 DOCUMENTARIES THAT YOU HAVE SELECTED.
- Using information provided in the documentary AND outside research material, you will be asked to discuss each documentary topic that you selected AND to compare and contrast differences between the disease issues. Please remember to refer to epidemiological terms and the math that is associated with presenting these diseases. please describe, explain, predict, and discuss control methods of the disease or behavior you have selected.
o Items you may want to consider describing in your paper could include, what is the incidence and prevalence of the disease? What is the epidemiological and financial impact/burden of the disease at a regional, national, and international level? What techniques do epidemiologists use to address, control, or reduce the number of cases of this disease? What stigma or psychological issues might epidemiologists need to be aware of when collecting data and implementing control methods?
o You may want to seriously consider referring to refereed journal articles when presenting your findings. Websites are not considered refereed journal articles.
- Discussion paper criteria: The minimum requirements for this paper will be a 3-page minimum/4-page maximum, single space, 1-inch margins and no more than 12-point font. Take the time to fully describe the selected disease/behavior and its impact to public health. Please be thorough when describing the epidemiological principles.