The newly-elected governor of your state is considering whether to support or reject the death penalty. She has assigned you the task of putting together a presentation to educate her and her staff. Prepare a presentation of 6- to 7-slides in Microsoft PowerPoint and be sure to include the following issues:
- Analyze and describe the pros and cons of capital punishment. Does it truly serve as a deterrent? Are there any other reasons to justify the death penalty besides deterrence?
- What are the roles of aggravating and mitigating circumstances in the sentencing process? Explain.
- In recent years, are states adopting or rejecting the death penalty? Explain.
- Among the states that do utilize the death penalty, what has been the trend in recent years? Find out whether the number of actual executions increasing or decreasing. Are offenders being sentenced to death more frequently or less frequently?
- How has the Supreme Court ruled in death penalty cases since 2000?
- Conclude with a well-supported recommendation for the governor. It is permissible to make a recommendation that does not conform to the trends that have been identified, as long as you support your position appropriately?
Present the additional information in the Notes section of your presentation.
Support your responses with examples.
Cite any sources in APA format.