Imagery and the Language of Poetry
By the due date assigned, post your response of one or two paragraphs (at least 150-200 words) to the Discussion Area. To support your comments, your discussion answers should include specific information and quotations from the readings.
- Choose a poem from the assigned readings listed below, and identify some of the key imagery or other kinds of poetic language used in the poem, which you believe are vital to understanding it. Here are some possible approaches:
- Provide a detailed discussion of how the images function in the poem.
- Do the images work together to form a coherent pattern?
- What ideas or feelings are conveyed by the images or figurative language?
- How do the images contribute to the overall meaning of the poem?
- Our course eBook (Portable Literature) should be your only source. Do not use outside sources.
- Title your discussion response with the poem’s title. This will help other students see which poems have been discussed. Once a poem has been discussed twice, please do not choose it for analysis.
Remember to provide evidence for your claims in the form of quoted passages from the poem. Quotations, paraphrases, and summaries should be cited according to APA rules of style, including in-text and reference citations. Quoted material should not exceed 25% of the document.